DHA is the most abundant omega 3 fat found in the brain. It is part of the omega 3 essential fatty acids family which contributes to the maintenance of brain function and is found in oily fish such as mackerel, salmon, tuna. Eating these types of this fish 2-3 times a week is a great insurance policy for the longevity of your memory.
The Ultimate Fast Food - Seared Fish with Steamed Greens
- 2 fillets of oily fish deboned but skin on (mackerel/trout)
- handful each of:
- Asparagus spears
- Mange tout
- Sugar snap peas
- Fine green beans
- Olive or rapeseed oil
- Fresh lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp of grated fresh ginger
- Chilli oil
- Season the fish well with Salt and Pepper
- In a heavy bottom pan place over a medium to high heat and add the olive or rapeseed oil.
- When hot and slightly smoking place the fish skin down and cook for 1-2 mins or until skins looks crispy.
- Turn the heat down to medium and turn the fish over and cook for 3-5 mins or until fish is cooked through. This will depend on how thick your piece of fish is.
- Whilst the fish is cooking skin side up place the vegetables into a prepared steamer and steam for 3-4 mins.
- Once cooked pile the vegetables on the plate and drizzle with the chilli oil
- Place the fish on top and sprinkle over the fresh herbs and ginger. Serve immediately, great with crusty bread dipped in olive oil.
As DHA is a polyunsaturated fat, it is susceptible to oxidation within the body as a result of normal metabolic processes. To ensure fats remain healthy it is essential to eat foods rich in anti-oxidants like Vitamins A, C and E. These three nutrients are known to protect the cells in the body from the stress of oxidation. Foods rich in anthocyanins and polyphenols eg berries and cherries are delicious to snack on or for breakfast - and both are full of Vitamin C.
Start your day with a berry feast rich in antioxidants:
3 strawberries - chopped
handful of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
1tbsp live greek yoghurt
1 tbsp sugar free granola
1 tsp of Manuka honey
Place all berries in a bowl, place the yoghurt on top, sprinkle the granola and drizzle the honey - Perfect!!